Wednesday, 6 January 2016

Embrace the bare face: Acne edition


((The pictures I use aren't meant to look 'pretty' or 'flawless',  they're just real))

'Embrace the bare face' was something I wanted to start last year but failed to pursue, so why not take a shot at it this year?

I don't want the whole concept to revolve around being confident with no make-up, I want the 'bare face' to reflect the struggles we sometimes hide behind and ignore. By all means embrace your bare face, but embrace whats real about you, flaws and all...

Let's talk about acne.
I have had spots for around 7 years, but acne for around 4 and I won't lie I hate it. 

I'm sure you're all clear with the concept of acne as it is common in so many people, some cases worse than others. For the past 5 months my skin has been the worst it has ever been, with spots constantly appearing on my forehead, chin, nose, neck, shoulders and back. Over the years I've tried every treatment under the sun and nothing seems to have helped it, leading to scarring, more spots and me left feeling a little self conscious.

When I say 'a little bit self conscious' I mean to the degree of wearing make up more often than not to make my skin look 'better'', wearing high neck tops to cover up my worst areas but, I won't say I let acne get the better of me. I'm not afraid to go out without covering up my acne, what would I really be trying to hide from when it's part of me?

A message which the whole 'Embrace the bare face' thing for me is trying to stress is that imperfection is inevitable, I know they don't make us perfect but they make us part of who we are.
My acne has knocked my confidence a fair few times, but made me realise theres more to life than the condition of my skin. People perceive spots as 'ugly' and when they're as painful as mine let me tell you I completely agree, but just because you've got an 'ugly' spot does not define you as an ugly person. 

I have acne, I want to get rid of my acne but it doesn't define me.

Embrace the bare face.

Lucy Jane




22 comments:

  1. I really appreciate this post. I know how it feels; the last 5 months mine has been the worst yet, too. Great job embracing the bare face, and great message!
    Pay with Polka Dots

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you lovely, gotta keep the message spreading!

      Delete
    2. Nice post. You really had a long journey with acne.Good result. I also found some tips here to Acne Treatment Reviews
      Here is written how to get rid of acne and reviews. Really helpful.
      You'll reading my uncensored review, where I will inform you what I think about this acne treatment system. :
      >>> Acne Treatment Reviews <<<

      Delete
  2. I love this post, Lucy and am glad you are addressing this topic. My skin has always had the occasional pimple when I was younger, but recently it seems as though I am getting more and more spots and possibly evening scarring. It's been hurting my confidence a bit, so I have started to wear foundation everyday, something I rarely wore.

    http://splitneedles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do what makes you comfortable and happy, that's all I can say! Spots are spots, do they really have an impact on how you're thought of as a person? Thank you for the support!x

      Delete
  3. I loved that post! I have struggled with acne since I was 8 years old and I'm turning 16 this year it's hard...I get it in the same places you too and you sometimes feel like why do I have it? But all the people who suffer acne we were given acne to make us stronger and to know what being beautiful really means! Our skin doesn't define us! You are SO beautiful with and without makeup you don't need it I hope this is a year you feel more confident with your acne xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! We have to look at things positively, everything happens for a reason and even though we might not like 'everything', embrace it and roll with it! Thank you for being so lovely!x

      Delete
  4. "Imperfection is inevitable." Preach it, Lucy. I absolutely love your take on this idea. I've got pretty terrible skin myself and was incredibly self conscious to go out without makeup before. I would reject collaboration offers and photoshoot collaborations just because I was afraid of exposing my scarred face. I've definitely been embracing it more often now.

    Thank you for this. <3

    xx May | THE MAYDEN | bloglovin'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes me so happy to here this! It's our own skin so we should love it no matter what and people should appreciate it for what is it, who cares if we have acne? We can't help it! Thank you for the support!x

      Delete
  5. You are great! I really appreciate you dear!!
    Hugs,
    Love from www.trangscorner.com {a lifestyle, fashion, beauty, and food blog}

    ReplyDelete
  6. Acne can be really difficult to deal with, I have had acne on and off especially cysts along my jaw line. I still feel like I always have to wear foundation when I leave the house. I think your skin looks great, I am sure that you will out grow it!
    xo
    www.laurajaneatelier.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Acne is a very common problem, but can be really dificult.
    Loved your blog.

    http://fiftyshadesofpink.blogs.sapo.pt

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved this post and how natural and real you kept it xx

    www.adaliascloset.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was my aim so it is wonderful to hear that, thank you!

      Delete
  9. Your confidence is very encouraging! I am going to try and be comfortable with my bare face just as you are :)

    http://means-wisdom.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have the same issue, I used to have bad acne especially on my back and chest and then I started to taake acne pills for it and after a few years of different treatments I've found something that's working for me. It's weird though because my skin has improved a lot, when I see old pictures I never realised how bad it really was and then the other day I went to college with no makeup on and my friend said to me if she could take some of my spots for me she could, in a nice way I wasn't offended but at the time I was thinking this is nothing! Your confidence is beautiful though, just like you! (That sounds like a line from a Boots advert aha )x
    Libby-Jade

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for such lovely words, I'm glad it's improving!

      Delete
  11. Hi Lucy! Your post is truly what I need right now. I have been suffering from acne for 8 years, and the severity comes in waves. Recently, I have been getting acne breakouts all over my face, even on places that were clear before. This is probably my worst case of my entire acne journey. I never let acne define me but it turns out that it got the better of me. I feel so vain, that something as superficial as acne can define me. Your post truly changed my perspective, so thanks a lot! I'm going to see a dermatologist tomorrow. Wish me luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck! I hope you can fight through and not let acne overcome you, it means so much hearing this as a year on I am nearly acne free. It is a struggle that gets so heavy on occasion but you've got to think, mentally if I am healthy you can't let the physical define you!

      Delete